Monday, February 04, 2008

Old Toys

What to do with old toys. Not just any old toys but Vintage old toys. Ones that are so cool and they don't make them anymore. Ones like the fisher price apple, the roly poly Ollie ball, the school desk with ALL the letters, numbers, and cards, and the original little people. Toys I love, toys that Avery will be outgrowing, and that probably are covered in lead paint chips. I want them sure, I don't have room for them for sure, but I can't sell them.. for sure. I have one that stretches across the crib. It has a ball (picture the old popcorn ball pushers) that rolls and makes balls spin, it also has rattles that spin on the sides of that. Your baby can kick at it, or bat at it. As I sit, nursing Avery looking at this toy, I wonder how many babies may have been strangled by it when their parents left them unattended in their crib with it. I am sure that's why they no longer sell anything remotely like it. Heck, even her starlight mobile which easily comes apart when touched has a warning not to use after 4 mos of age due to strangulation hazard. FOUR MONTHS!?! I used it with Ileigh every single night until she moved to a twin bed .. when Avery was born. I feel sorry for the waste of money parents are left with who follow all those "rules".
I consider saving all these awesome, yet potentially dangerous toys for Austin's kids. It's what, like maybe 10 years away. Well, it could be. I have saved these toys since Austin was a baby .. 13 yrs... what's another 10? Then I think, Man.. he better marry someone I like and who likes me. I can just picture his wife's face as I present her with these toys that have been around and saved for 30-40 years. "uhh, thanks..." as she dumps them in the high tech incinerator. And I thought of what the "recommendations" for babies will be in 10 more years..


No medicines until 4 yrs of age unless imminent death is present
No mobiles, no crib toys, period
No cribs, no blankets, put your child to sleep sitting up in the middle of a breathable fabric cage
Nothing paper (chokable) Plastic (chemicals) or electronic (strangulation on wires, emf cancer causing waves) anywhere near baby.


Oh hell, I'll just put the toys on a shelf and admire them from time to time.

No comments: