Thursday, December 31, 2009

Thank the good lord that 2009 is OVER. part 1.

And don't look back. It was a hard hard year. It began okay, I suppose. I don't remember much of the first few months. In May, the kids were out of school. Avery turned 2. I began working again in June and Avery started daycare. Ileigh went to summer care at her Montessori school. Avery did suprisingly well at daycare. She even took a nap the first day which floored me because I had trouble at home when I even would lay with her. Ileigh was about to start Kindergarten. She had a HUGE birthday party with a water slide. I got some cute video of her and her friends. I also had video of Easter, Avery turning 2, Avery's first singing (happy birthday) and Austin turning 14. Why am I telling you that? You will find out later.

Ileigh's Montessori school closes for a week before school starts. Have I told you we are worried about Ileigh? That's a different post. She is a child of a different breed. Anyways, the week before the closed week, they charge 140 for 4 days. Ridiculous! I refused. I asked Avery's daycare if Ileigh could go there for 2 weeks and I would pay the 133/week to them. They said yes! In those two weeks, Ileigh began learning a few letters, numbers, and writing her name. We decided to switch her to their private kindergarten. In other words, right when her montessori school was going to switch to a free charter program, we decided to keep paying for her. She really misses her old friends but I can't say I have ever regretted it.

Austin was all set to attend Saguaro. The neighbor, Amy, that also didn't get into our closest and best high school agreed to transport the kids since we wouldn't be able to. The problem is that there was a "secret" waiting list. I was able to find out Austin was at the bottom by someone that wasn't supposed to tell me. Apparently, Amy was at the top. So almost too late to do anything about it, we found out Amy had switched to the closer, better high school and Austin was left without a ride. Drats! (insert inappropriate term here)

The next best idea I had was another snobsdale school. Far away yes. However a straight shot on the the good ole public transportation system. We bought austin a new bike too. I practiced the route with him. He was excited. Freshman year. Freedom. Bus pass. New bike. skate park across the street from new school. HUGE school. Lots of opportunities. TONS of new kids.

Second day of school. Austin was taking his bike to the bus stop when a punk kid asks why austin has "looked" at him. He replied that he wasn't and got assaulted. In the face. Braces through lips. AGAIN. (didn't I tell you that happened before?). Poor kid had braces for 6 months and they came off twice, or more. Fast forward to Austin not wanting to go back to that school. Need a new plan.

Andy and I decided on our old alma mater which was near grandma's house. We had to finagle (sp?) our way into there. transcripts. return books, locks, schedules, never got our refund they promised at old school (thanks for reminding me). Back and forth between schools. new schools policy is 12 days absent per year. They were already counting it for austin. He began there on the 5th day of the first week. whew!

No comments: