Friday, April 20, 2007

A Snake!

We had some people over to our house for lunch last Sunday. My neice (13) ran inside yelling there was a snake on our driveway. We all ran outside to see it and it got scared and slithered right up into the engine of my van. The boys (Andy and Brian) tried to get him out for quite some time before giving up. I thought he would leave over night.
The next day I went out to my car to drive somewhere. The neighbor was outside so I decided to tell him about the snake. He talked me into opening my hood to check and see if we could see it. Well there Mr. S was staring right at us! After taking some photos, I started the engine to try to scare it off. NOPE. It is slithered further back into god knows where. I had 1 hour before I had to pick Austin up from school. I didn't want it to get chopped up in a fan blade or anything so I called someone else to pick up Austin and drive him home. Then I called the AZ herpalogical society who advertises that they will remove snakes for free! After giving the guy all my information, he says a volunteer is on their way and hangs up. Five minutes later he calls back and says he forgot to tell me that they "ask" for a FORTY DOLLAR DONATION. What?!?
I thought they didn't want the snake to get hurt any more than I did. Oh well. I cancelled that "volunteer" and decided to volunteer my husband instead.

Next time I go outside, Andy and Jerry (who picked Austin up) and Tristin are all outside hovered over the engine. You could barely see the snake. After Jerry left, we decided the water couldn't hurt the snake too much so we sprayed the engine down. Of course Ileigh who has absolutely NO FEAR is ecstatic about the snake and wants to hold the hose, hold the pokey stick, and eventually hold the snake. I was forced to take her inside.

Next time I go outside, Andy has gloves on and the tail end of the snake in his grip. He is tugging with all his strength to unmuscle the snake from the car coils. I yell at him to not hurt the snake and then to not hurt himself. Then I yell for him to slow down so I can go get the camera.

I get back and the snake is out, unharmed. Andy holds it by the head and lets me take several photos. We walk it out to the desert which is oh, 100 feet from our porch. We stop and show the neighbor who is terrified and so is her (unlike Ileigh) 3 yr old son. She tells us to go far from her house! We walk out a ways and let Mr. S go. He was so happy! He smiled and hissed a thank you.

It turns out he was a gopher snake. They are very gentle and grow quite large. I would say this one was over 4 feet!

No comments: